In the palm oil industry, the quality of planting material is recognised as the most critical factor in maximising yields. GAR has been using its proprietary high-yielding Dami Mas seeds in new plantings and replantings since 2002. The Dami Mas seeds were developed through stringent and robust breeding experiments conducted by SMART Research Institute (SMARTRI). Producing our own seeds also provides seed security and genetic purity in our seed supply.
DAMI MAS Deli Dura (D) for DxP Seed Production
The DAMI Mas deli dura population was developed from the descendants of the famous four palms that were first introduced into the Bogor Botanic Garden (Indonesia) in 1848. The deli dura populations have been advanced many cycles through breeding and selection by oil palm breeders. The pedigree of these DAMI Mas deli dura palms was well maintained and could be traced to the four Bogor palms; they arrived in DAMI Mas via Deli (Sumatra, Indonesia), Chemara (Malaysia), Harrissons and Crossfield (Malaysia) and DAMI OPRS (PNG). Elite dura palms are selected as mother palms for DxP seed production. Selection is based on a combination of breeding and selection strategies: pedigree, family and individual palm performance.
Further breeding and selection work within DAMI Mas deli dura and through introgressions are being carried out at SMART Research Institute to ensure the long-term improvement and therefore, sustainability of the oil palm planting material.
The DAMI MAS Pisifera (P) for DxP Seed Production
The present DAMI MAS Pisifera pollen for DxP seed production is derived from DM 742 progeny, descendants of the well-known Avros BM119, introduced into DAMI MAS in 1996 via DAMI OPRS. The DM742 derived pisiferas have been well proven in oil palm breeding trials and commercial fields in all main oil palm growing areas, especially Indonesia and Malaysia. DAMI Mas continues to use P pollen derived from DM742 imported from DAMI OPRS while progeny testing is being carried out with DAMI Mas DM742 derived pisiferas. These pisiferas will gradually replace the imported DM742 derived pisiferas.
Performance of DAMI MAS DxP
Dami Mas DxP Seeds are renowned for their performance:
- Earlier fruit production – initial harvest at 24 months after planting with a yield of 8-10 tonnes FFB/hectare
- Initial yield (3-8 years) average > 26 tonnes FFB/hectare; in favourable conditions can easily achieve 36 tonnes FFB/hectare
- Oil extraction rate of > 24%
- Kernel oil extraction rate of > 6%
- Total oil production > 9 tonnes/hectare
- Low levels of chimera or crown disease in the nursery and field
- Adaptable to a wide range of environments
- Planting density of 136 palms/hectare ensures maximum production
- Dura contamination in the field < 0.1%